I found this link via Neatorama, showing this first photo of an extra terrestrial lake on Titan, Saturn's largest satellite:A haze of methane enshrouds Saturn's largest moon, Titan, and prevents scientists from seeing most sunlight reflections off the surface. But NASA's Cassini orbiter managed to snap a stunning image of sunlight glinting off a huge, liquid methane lake -- a smoking gun that confirms liquid in the northern hemisphere.










4 comments:
Yeah-Dude (uh-Dudette)Surfs Up!!! Kowabunga....yahooo!!....Uh...Pew....what IS that smell?
I have an obsession with oceans, but I'm actually very terrified of them. I love the beach but I will not go in the water. Sharks!
Anyway, you could tell me up and down there is no life on Titan, but I still wouldn't go in that body of water because the voice of my irrational imagination would be screaming "Methane-Sharks!!"
Stinkin Methane sharks...
Anyway, it is an interesting thought to ponder...other types of oceans -of bodies of water other than H2O. The Universe is teaming with other worlds.
We add Methane to gases so that we can smell them, in case of leaks, or so that we know pesticides are in use, etc. It's hard for my mind to get around a complete body of liquid methane.
I thought Methane was odorless for some reason.
But indeed, imagining a full liquid body of something other than water is not easy to do.
Unless it looks like water. Then nevermind.
Post a Comment