I've been sitting here sifting through my daily does of Google Alerts, which are significantly fewer than the last couple of days, in which a number of them piled up while I was busy working more than I generally care to. Most of them were crap of course, and the rest -- well, they either weren't worth mentioning or I had no real opinion of them.
After finishing up with my Alerts, I then got the crazy idea of going through all of the pages I have bookmarked in the last few months, pertaining to U-know-whats. See, when I find a certain article that I think make be interesting, but don't have the time or wordage to write about it, I bookmark it with the misguided assumption that I'll come back to them again, shortly, or on a slow news day -- and the last couple of weeks have been a long chain of slow news days. Sure, there are a lot of articles out there that come through each and every mother-lovin' day, but most are crap, the same old-same old, or just UFO reports. I could post the UFO reports, but there are bazillion other sites that do just that (though I reserve the right to post reports that are interesting to me, on occasion).
One thing that is hard not to notice are the abundance of articles discussing near-ancient cases. Much of the time I assume they are probably using it as filler to keep their sites from slipping into nothingness. Some are truly interesting opinions, so I don't claim that everyone is doing this to maintain their Google Ranking. But it's because of these old cases and their determination to keep popping up, (and the fact that i hate not posting things frequently) I started writing this post.
Basically it boiled down to me wondering how the fuck cases like Billy Meier's are still in the news. I'm not really going to go into that one, because frankly, I've been hearing about him since I was reading about UFOs in grade-school and not much has changed since. I also don't want to discuss it because personally, I think it's crap. And before anyone thinks I am picking specifically on Billy, I'm not. It's been done before, and done well. I am using this as an illustration of a number of highly-questionable claims that are still being boosted and discussed ad nauseam.
And really, this isn't just about claims I feel are bogus. For instance, there's Roswell. I do believe something happened outside of Roswell, New Mexico in 1947. There, I said it. I also think it is an important case, as it is one of the first cases, outside the alleged Missouri crash of 1941, and one with a lot of data and testimonial. But-- we are in a decade so far removed from the post-war America of the late 40s, and many of the witnesses or people involved are deceased. Documents have been fudged, stories have changed, and... and I don't think we're going to get anything else out of that one, excluding the high-improbability of some future government info made public. But even if new evidence did come to light that would support or denounce this as an extra-terrestrial event, we are probably beyond proving it either way. If new documents surfaced, let's say, stating that it was a cold-war ploy perpetrated by the U.S. itself, would it really sway many people's opinion of it? Those documents would end up just as questionable as the MJ12 papers. The point is, regardless of what information comes to light, it will not make much of a dent in this case, barring the public unveiling of a few tiny bodies floating in formaldehyde, or a beat up old '47 saucer.
I blame part of this on the Wonderful World of Conspiracies, in which the deception is perceived to be so deep, it is almost beyond impossible to find the source at this point. When you can't trust what your government tells you, what witnesses testify or what photographs may or may not have revealed, it's pretty much game-over. This bleeds into the whole argument of what is considered 'proof' anymore, and apparently the consensus is that unless we are collectively hit over the head by something , it is unprovable. And yes, that does paint a very sad picture of society and it's lust with deception. We've fucked ourselves quite a bit in this area, though perhaps it was unavoidable. In any event, it's severely depressing when you begin to take notice of how many people out there are willing to deceive others for whatever the reasons.
I didn't really have a specific direction in this post, as it was (in re-reading it) more of a stream of consciousness, so I hope you weren't expecting some poignant ending. It is a product of my own frustrations with Hype, Hoax and anything from All News Web. But do I really think we should stop discussing things like Roswell or Socorro altogether? No... I think they have their place in respect to the 'education' of this field. But I think it's a lot like reading any kind of far-off history. It's needed for a basis that other learnings and new cases can rest upon. Do I think that some of the more ridiculous claims of yore (and some that are still going strong to this day) should no longer be discussed? In a word, no - but only because I think it is important to understand what people are capable of doing and they serve as a constant reminder that gullibility does little good if you're trying to sort out this UFO business. Sham-artists and sheisters prevail more than most people would care to believe -- and if the testimonials of the proponents of some of these outrageous claims aren't enough to trigger your BS detector, perhaps nothing will.
After finishing up with my Alerts, I then got the crazy idea of going through all of the pages I have bookmarked in the last few months, pertaining to U-know-whats. See, when I find a certain article that I think make be interesting, but don't have the time or wordage to write about it, I bookmark it with the misguided assumption that I'll come back to them again, shortly, or on a slow news day -- and the last couple of weeks have been a long chain of slow news days. Sure, there are a lot of articles out there that come through each and every mother-lovin' day, but most are crap, the same old-same old, or just UFO reports. I could post the UFO reports, but there are bazillion other sites that do just that (though I reserve the right to post reports that are interesting to me, on occasion).
One thing that is hard not to notice are the abundance of articles discussing near-ancient cases. Much of the time I assume they are probably using it as filler to keep their sites from slipping into nothingness. Some are truly interesting opinions, so I don't claim that everyone is doing this to maintain their Google Ranking. But it's because of these old cases and their determination to keep popping up, (and the fact that i hate not posting things frequently) I started writing this post.
Basically it boiled down to me wondering how the fuck cases like Billy Meier's are still in the news. I'm not really going to go into that one, because frankly, I've been hearing about him since I was reading about UFOs in grade-school and not much has changed since. I also don't want to discuss it because personally, I think it's crap. And before anyone thinks I am picking specifically on Billy, I'm not. It's been done before, and done well. I am using this as an illustration of a number of highly-questionable claims that are still being boosted and discussed ad nauseam.
And really, this isn't just about claims I feel are bogus. For instance, there's Roswell. I do believe something happened outside of Roswell, New Mexico in 1947. There, I said it. I also think it is an important case, as it is one of the first cases, outside the alleged Missouri crash of 1941, and one with a lot of data and testimonial. But-- we are in a decade so far removed from the post-war America of the late 40s, and many of the witnesses or people involved are deceased. Documents have been fudged, stories have changed, and... and I don't think we're going to get anything else out of that one, excluding the high-improbability of some future government info made public. But even if new evidence did come to light that would support or denounce this as an extra-terrestrial event, we are probably beyond proving it either way. If new documents surfaced, let's say, stating that it was a cold-war ploy perpetrated by the U.S. itself, would it really sway many people's opinion of it? Those documents would end up just as questionable as the MJ12 papers. The point is, regardless of what information comes to light, it will not make much of a dent in this case, barring the public unveiling of a few tiny bodies floating in formaldehyde, or a beat up old '47 saucer.
I blame part of this on the Wonderful World of Conspiracies, in which the deception is perceived to be so deep, it is almost beyond impossible to find the source at this point. When you can't trust what your government tells you, what witnesses testify or what photographs may or may not have revealed, it's pretty much game-over. This bleeds into the whole argument of what is considered 'proof' anymore, and apparently the consensus is that unless we are collectively hit over the head by something , it is unprovable. And yes, that does paint a very sad picture of society and it's lust with deception. We've fucked ourselves quite a bit in this area, though perhaps it was unavoidable. In any event, it's severely depressing when you begin to take notice of how many people out there are willing to deceive others for whatever the reasons.
I didn't really have a specific direction in this post, as it was (in re-reading it) more of a stream of consciousness, so I hope you weren't expecting some poignant ending. It is a product of my own frustrations with Hype, Hoax and anything from All News Web. But do I really think we should stop discussing things like Roswell or Socorro altogether? No... I think they have their place in respect to the 'education' of this field. But I think it's a lot like reading any kind of far-off history. It's needed for a basis that other learnings and new cases can rest upon. Do I think that some of the more ridiculous claims of yore (and some that are still going strong to this day) should no longer be discussed? In a word, no - but only because I think it is important to understand what people are capable of doing and they serve as a constant reminder that gullibility does little good if you're trying to sort out this UFO business. Sham-artists and sheisters prevail more than most people would care to believe -- and if the testimonials of the proponents of some of these outrageous claims aren't enough to trigger your BS detector, perhaps nothing will.










3 comments:
I must say I have enjoyed fishing in this particular "stream". Keep up the good work, and may da schwartz be vit chu! ;)
Thanks - and thanks for reading, Bob!
Speaking of Mel Brooks, I was just watching an old favorite the other day - perhaps the best Mel Brooks film (and no, not Young Frankenstein), "High Anxiety".
Yeah...that's a good one. "History of the World, Part One" isn't bad either.
Who could forget the line:
"..oh fweduwick....do I have an openings dis man could fill?"
I didn't care for "Blazzing Saddles" very much, though. Way too much usage of the "N" word to be funny, IMO.
Have an awesome day!
-Bob
Post a Comment